Your home should be a safe haven for you and your family. A place to unwind on the couch with a glass of wine and your favorite television show.

However, there are 5 common hazards in your home that you may be unaware are causing you and your loved ones harm.

Most of these issues will be brought up in a home inspection. So, buyers beware and sellers be prepared to have any of these hazards fixed to ensure a timely sale.

1. Mold

Mold is not a disease-causing agent but rather an allergen that can cause some serious issues. Molds that are considered toxic tend to be Stachybotrys such as black molds.

Mold forms where moisture builds up and becomes concentrated, especially when a food source is present. You can detect mold in your home if you smell an earthy, musty scent. Mold is not life-threatening but continued exposure is not recommended for your health.

These reactions usually affect your respiratory system and can cause trouble breathing. In very rare and extreme cases, your body may go into anaphylactic shock.

Prevent this issue by keeping your house as dry as possible. A good idea would be to place a dehumidifier in your basement during the summer seasons.

2. Exposed asbestos

Here is a little asbestos history for you: up until the mid-20th-century, asbestos was used as a building material. That is until they figured it to contain a harmful carcinogen that causes mesothelioma cancer. It is illegal to use this material now, but traces of it can still be found in older homes.

Asbestos symptoms arise when it becomes airborne. So, if you are thinking of remodeling that new vintage property you just bought, take extra caution. Contact a professional to make sure the job is done safely.

3. Carbon monoxide poisoning

When too much carbon monoxide enters your bloodstream, this can cause tissue damage and, in some cases, death.

If your appliances such as stoves, water heaters, and anything that uses gas are not properly ventilated, they will release carbon monoxide into the air.

Please ensure that these items are sufficiently ventilated. If you own a chimney or wood-burning stove, make sure you clean them every year.

4. Fire

The largest cause across the US for house fires is a build-up of lint in the dryer. This can quickly cause an electrical fire if not cleaned out regularly.

It may seem like common sense, but make sure all candles are blown out when leaving the house, as well as turning off any appliances such as stoves and hot hair tools.

5. Slippery bathroom surfaces

The bathroom is the most dangerous room in your house. Due to water usage, it is hard to avoid keeping the floor completely dry. Many falls occur in the bathroom, especially as residents age and become less agile.

Utilize bathmats at any location in the bathroom where there is a water source. This includes the sink, toilet, shower, and bathtub. It also is not a bad idea to install handle railings and even walk-in tubs for senior residents.